Monday, September 19, 2011

Playlist: Punkstress Brody Dalle's 12 Track Driving Mix


By: Unknown
Date: February, 2009


Who would have thought that the Australian punk priestess behind the Distillers and Spinnerette used to tour the City of Angels in a Camaro? Here, Brody Dalle beats her heart out while jamming to her top favorite road trip tunes.


1. Ride’s “Drive Blind.” This song is so sexy. Alan McGee must have peed his pants when he heard it: “Cover my eyes and we’ll die driving blind.” Don’t tempt me!

2. “Talking to a Stranger” by Hunters & Collectors. This song reminds me of driving to Apollo Bay with my dad, when we would listen to their greatest hits tape over and over again. This band is quintessentially Australian, and makes me proud to be true blue.

3. Tom Petty’s “Running Down a Dream.” Full Moon Fever was the other tape we’d listen to on long family drives—everything from “Free Fallin’ ” to “Zombie Zoo.” It’s chock-full of hits, man. Eagles of Death Metal recorded at Sound City and all I could think was, Tom Petty recorded Full Moon Fever here! I love you, Tom.

4. Black Flag’s “My War.” This is the best song of all time.

5. “Where is my Mind?” by Pixies. This song gives me the chills every time. It reminds me of the Distillers driving through the mountains in Canada in the dead of winter in the “Silver Bullet,” our trusty Ford Econoline van. We saw a baby black bear standing on the side of the road and Andy [Granelli] and Tony [Bradley] saw the Sasquatch, apparently.

6. “Horror Business” by Misfits. “All this horror business driving late at night… ” I can never get enough Misfits! Jerry Only offered to get me a string endorsement while wearing black leggings and granny glasses. I still love them so deeply inside my body.

7. Nirvana’s “Negative Creep” or “Dive.” Every song on these records make me wet. The first time I heard “Dive,” I wanted to fuck Kurt Cobain—I mean, meet him.

8. Pailhead’s “I Will Refuse.” The lyrics in this song are more relevant than ever. This is the “park at the gas station off the 5 on yer way to San Fran and mosh in your car or else you’ll Thelma and Louise yourself driving 150 miles an hour into cowschwitz” song.

9. Ratatat’s “Mirando.” I love these guys. This song makes me feel happy and hopeful about the future.

10. “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight” by the Cars. This reminds me of driving around in my man’s Camaro when we first met.

11. Joy Division’s “She’s Lost Control.” It would not be a good idea to “lose control” while steering a 2,000-ton metal contraption down the street near the school crossing. Listening to this track at a very loud volume, on the other hand, is the best medicine.

12. Roky Erickson’s “Anthem (I Promise).” Gremlins Have Pictures is one of the greatest Roky records ever. “Anthem” is so beautiful and so fucking heartbreaking.