Monday, September 19, 2011

Brody Dalle Dumps Major-label Deal


By: Dan Martin
For: Guardian.co.uk
Date: November 14th, 2008

No more monkey dancing for people who don't care about art, says the former Distillers frontwoman. Instead, she will release her new album independently

Brody Dalle has chosen to walk away from the mainstream record industry, choosing to release her first album with new band Spinnerette under her own steam.

The former Distillers frontwoman, and wife of Queens of the Stone Age lead singer Josh Homme, was originally signed to Sire Records for her first album since her former band's Coral Fang in 2003. The project was also managed for a period by Alan McGee.

But Dalle has now told NME that she is to release it independently. "I didn't want to do a fucking monkey dance for people who don't care about art. I want to be more art-focused and call the shots."

"The state of the industry has pushed us into wanting to put the album out ourselves. I'm not interested in getting entangled into the system. I just got out of a deal and walked out with my record, and thank God, I'm really grateful for that."

The new album, which features former Queens of the Stones Age collaborator Alain Johannes, will be released in February. Songs slated to appear are All Babes Are Wolves, Impaler and Geeking.

Of its inspiration, Dalle added: "Being a mother has changed my songwriting. My father died a year ago, and that influenced me as well. It's been like a firestorm the past couple of years ... deaths and redemption, salvation, religious themes - it's all in there."