Monday, September 19, 2011

Q&As with Brody Dalle of Spinnerette


By: Unknown
For: blog.welikeitindie.com
Date: April 28th, 2009


Spinnerette has set June 23rd as the release date for their much-anticipated debut album. The self-titled Spinnerette album will be released on Anthem/RED and includes 13 new songs written by Brody Dalle & produced by Alain Johannes & is the first Brody Dalle helmed full-length release since The Distiller’s 2003 Coral Fang album.
Brody Dalle fans got their first taste of Spinnerette with the December release of the band’s Ghetto Love EP & the Liam Lynch directed video for the title track. The EP is the tease for what Brody Dalle devotees can expect on Spinnerette’s powerful debut album and is currently available on iTunes.
Brody appears on the new May issue of Inked Magazine, where pretty much they tell you every highlight of the “Inked” goddess. She also answered some Qs for Welikeit.indie & from her replies, we can surely see that her strong personality still pierces through, not only through her music but through her words.

Describe Spinnerette in 3 words…
Lady Spider Godiva

How many instruments to do you play?
Guitar, bass, wurlitzer, piano, recorder, xylophone, triangle, kazoo, drums.

Worst live show experience?
Germany in summer hot as fuck, packed club, some fuck spat the biggest gob ever and it went straight into my mouth as I was opening up to sing. Ewwwwww.

First record you ever bought and where did you buy it?
Cyndi Lauper – she’s so unusual – JB Hi Fi record store in Melbourne. I was 7.

Last illegal download?
Don’t.

What are you listening to right now?
Josh playing weird riffs for invisible band, sounds pretty good.

What posters did you have on your wall as a kid?
Surf posters, Nirvana, Hole, Punk flyers from my anarchist boyfriend Andy, Sourpuss posters, Aussie bands like Bored, the Meanies, Bud, the Hard-ons and one of my all time fav Aussie bands Tumbleweed.

Name one song you’d hate to have stuck in your head.
“The Only Way Is Up” by YAZZ
Dammit you made me sing it in my head!

Name 3 things you need when you travel.
CD player or i-pod, magazines, water, snacks, baby wipes. Oops, that’s five, but essential.

What is your favorite thingyou own?
Probably my 1958 Gibson 225 that my husband gave me for my birthday a few years back.

When you are out on the town, what is your drink of choice?
Vodka or wine depends on the setting, sometimes margaritas. I love beer on ice.

Stupidest thing you’ve done in the last 12 months?
Not go to a court case concerning my lack of registration when getting pulled over – it was buried under papers in my glove box – I stupidly forgot.

Complete this sentence: In the future…
there will be no bee’s.

Tell us a fact about yourself that probably nobody knows.
My grandfather Al Costello was a world champion tag team wrestler for the fabulous Kangaroo’s . I was in an Australian movie called “Hard knocks” when I was 8 months old , about a teenage delinquent (played by Tracy Mann, I had red hair when i was born.)

What’s next?
I’m off to bed , it’s 100 million degrees in my house , ah San Fernando valley…..goodnight!

Back in February, Spinnerette released a special Valentines Day Sex Bomb package directly to fans that included the original version of the previously unreleased track “Sex Bomb” along with the remix by UK electronic/breakbeat artist Adam Freeland on sexed up hot pink 7″ vinyl & the stems for fans to remix their own. The remix quickly became NME’s #1 Essential Track of the Week. A newly recorded version of “Sex Bomb” will be included on the forthcoming album.