Sunday, October 02, 2011

An Interview with Brody Dalle of Spinnerette @ Call The Office


By: Nathan Allen
For: Fazermagazine.com
Date: June 17th, 2009


When I arrived at the venue for this interview I had some time to wait as the band worked through their sound check. It was at this time that the nerves set in a little bit. I boarded the tour bus and met nearly everyone in the band. I was set to interview just Brody, but Tony Bevilacqua, lead guitarist, was present to lend some comedic relief, while he was eating his turkey sandwich without mustard.
Interviewing Brody Dalle was intimidating, through no fault of her own, as she was extremely nice and very approachable. It was just the combination of being on the tour bus, being a bit starstruck, having lots of stuff going on around me, and still being relatively new to the whole interviewer role. On paper it turned out to be a great interview and she helped me get a good look at not only the music of Spinnerette but the camaraderie between band mates and her life in general. I hope you enjoy…

Nathan:
Why was London your first stop on the tour? It seems sort of random.

Tony:
We thought it was London, UK. Then they brought us here and we were like “What the fuck?!”

Brody:
Whose sonar is going off?

Universal Rep:
That’s me, sorry.

Brody:
I laugh at the way Canadians say sorry…

Universal Rep:
At about everything.

Brody:
[laughs] Yeah! Well, it was I don’t know. We’ve never played here before I don’t think. It was just a chance to play here, we wanted to play here.

Nathan:
Well I’m hoping there’s a good turnout. I’ve been to a number of shows here and I’d say it’s a shit music town, to be honest.

Brody:
It doesn’t matter for us. It’s more like we needed a place to warm-up and we’re going to warm ourselves in London.

Nathan:
That’s good. You’ve got everybody across the border now? No more problems?

Brody:
Yup, Vinny is on the bus!

[Cheers and yelling from other members of the band in response to Vinny making it across the border.]

Brody:
How do you know about that?! Did word get out about that or something?

Tony:
I did a Facebook blast last night.
Brody:
You did?

Tony:
Yeah.

Brody:
You did not!

Nathan:
So, tomorrow you’re off to Ottawa and then you’re doing North by Northeast. Are you doing just one show at NXNE?

Brody:
I don’t even think it’s for North by Northeast…

Unknown:
It is…the Mod Club show is. Sorry I’m interrupting.

Nathan:
No worries.

[The unknown lady then proceeded to give Brody a warm veggie wrap and two different drinks from Booster juice that were filled with a whole bunch of crazy stuff that seemed to impress Brody.]

Brody:
I don’t want to get sick on tour.

Nathan:
I take it you’re a vegan?

Brody:
I’m a vegetarian trying to be a vegan but it’s really fucking hard on tour.

Nathan:
I can imagine. You have a few days off before heading to New York are you going to try and take in a few shows (@ NXNE)?

Brody:
We play Toronto and oh, we play a secret show on Saturday night. Then Sunday we fly to New York.

Nathan:
I guess I can’t find out where the secret show is then?

Brody:
Yeah, you can, this probably isn’t going to come out for ages is it?

Nathan:
Yeah, probably not for a couple days, definitely not before the show.

Brody:
Good, there you go.

[I do know where the show is happening but I’ll let you figure out where on your own. The only hint I’ll give is that it is in Toronto. Good luck!]

Nathan:
Alright, was the album pushed back a few times? And what’s your reaction to it finally being out?

Brody:
Mmhmm… ten times, where I promised or I swore on my mother’s grave…off and on, time and time again.

Nathan:
Was that because you weren’t ready to put it out?
Brody:
No it was just a mess, with label issues, distribution issues and kind of figuring it out worldwide.

Nathan:
And you’re on Rush’s label now, Anthem?

Brody:
Yeah we are!

Nathan:
Do you like that better than being on a major?

Brody:
Yeah pretty much, I think I like the partnership that we’ve developed with the company. It’s more family, less suits and more dinner time.

Nathan:
Cool. Now I don’t want to talk about your old band but do you find Spinnerette is getting the press coverage it deserves or do you feel that you’re still having to live up to previous expectations because of The Distillers?

Brody:
I don’t have any expectations. I think you’ll fail if you have any expectations when it comes to music. You’ll get really let down.

Nathan:
I’ve found from a fan’s perspective that Spinnerette has been getting a lot more radio play than what I remember from the time of The Distillers. Personally, I would see it as the band is being pushed a bit more this time. Do you feel that?

Brody:
No, I don’t know. Really we are?

Nathan:
Up here in Canada, you definitely are. FM96 and the EDGE are playing the singles quite a bit.

Unknown People: Yeah, that’s right! … Thank You! [A little Canadian music industry pride came out on the bus during this topic.]

Brody:
Okay good, independent labels have just as much power as the major labels…or just better people working at them!

Nathan:
Well, I owe this guy (Universal rep) big thanks for setting this up. He gave me the heads up about you coming and set this all up.

Nathan:
Now, do you let your daughter listen to your music and Josh’s (QOTSA, EODM) music?

Brody:
Yeah, she gets to listen to it for fucking months, poor kid. When you’re making a record that’s kind of all you listen to.

Nathan:
I don’t want to talk too much about your daughter because it’s private but does she understand when you go out on the road, where you’ve gone? [Her daughter is three and is at home with her dad, while Spinnerette is out on tour.]

Brody:
Yeah, she asked me today. I said I’m in London and she said, “You’re in England.”… “No, I’m in London, Canada.”… “Oh, Canada!” Yeah she’s cute. I mean I don’t think really they get the concept but she’s been all over the world so she sort of understands what touring is.
Nathan:
Has becoming a mother changed your habits well out on the road? Party as much as you used to, etc?

Brody:
I don’t know yet. We haven’t really done it. It would really be the only place I could get my party on.

Nathan:
A bit of a vacation of sorts then, even though you’re working.

Brody:
Mmhmm…

Nathan:
You have the recording band with Tony, Jack Irons and Alain Johannes and you have your touring band. Do you find it’s difficult with an interchangeable band to develop chemistry on stage?

Brody:
No, we searched high and low for people we did have chemistry with because it’s really important. We went through a couple incarnations before we finally decided. It is important, it’s really important.

Nathan:
In a sense, it would almost be easier off the stage as well because if you’re with the same people for ever you might start to get on each other’s nerves.

Brody:
I think the less seriously you take it, the better. The more relaxed and casual you are about it the better it is for everybody. There’s no reason to get too emotionally invested in it. When you have an agreement, you have an agreement so you go out do it. It’s what we like to do, and if you don’t like it anymore then go home. There’s no reason to bitch, moan and cry about it. For everybody, It’s all gonna be over one day.

Nathan:
True enough. When you write songs do you write the lyrics first? Or like Tool, do you write the music and then do the lyrics to the music?

Brody:
I write a riff, then I write a melody, and then write the lyrics. Sometimes lyrics come straight away and I’ll go off that. It’s rare that I go, “I’m going to write a song about this.” It’s kind of like prophesizing, afterwards you realize what you wrote about.

Nathan:
I guess I understand that. I love music but when you come to any sort of terminology I’m completely useless at it.

Brody:
I don’t know any terminology at all. I don’t know theory and shit like that. I just play whatever.

Nathan:
Did you grow up playing instruments or was it something you picked up at a later age?

Brody:
When I was really little I played recorder at school. I fucking hated recorder and I threatened to hit my teacher over the head with it.

Nathan:
Yeah, I think that’s mandatory to play in school.

Brody:
Yeah, probably everywhere in the world. Then when I was twelve my uncle gave me a guitar and I learned to play.

Nathan:
That’s sweet. I think I was around twelve when I got a trumpet but it didn’t go far from there. I wanted a saxophone.

Brody:
Trumpet’s fucking cool man. Tony’s a fucking ripping saxophone player, by the way.

Unknown:
Yeah, the pork saxophone.

[Laughter fills the bus.]

Tony: Pork saxophone! Fuck off.

[There was some more discussion at this point about the pork saxophone, and everyone’s dinners, as well as Brody Dalle’s hatred for a certain item, but I was sworn to secrecy so a secret it shall remain.]

Universal Rep:
I like the fact I just found your weakness.

Unknown:
People find that out they’ll start throwing it on stage…Don’t write that down, it’ll be like Mentos for the Foo’s.

[I had to include this next part of the interview because it just displayed the good natured fun that was happening on the bus. They had just been given their daily cash allowance.]

Brody:
Woohooo! This is like fifteen Toonies, or whatever they’re called.

Universal Rep:
That’s like four American dollars.

Tony:
If we put them all together we can get really good drugs, a very little bit of them though. Designer drugs! Just kidding, I don’t do drugs.

Unknown:
This is all on tape.

Tony:
The band in a nutshell…they don’t know how to eat and they do drugs. There’s no mustard! Goddamn it!

[Laughter fills the bus. It was soon after we got back on track with the actual interview.]

Nathan:
Now, I’ve only heard the EP, but ‘Bury My Heart’ is the only song from the EP not on the album?

Brody:
And ‘Valium Knights’. Oh shit, we gotta play ‘Valium Knights’ tonight. We can’t forget.

Rest of Band:
Yeah, we gotta play ‘Valium Knights’.

Nathan:
I agree. I love the EP but ‘Bury My Heart’ was the only song on it where I could kind of hear The Distillers. Everything else sounds new but that song sounds very Coral Fangish.

Brody:
That’s interesting because it’s from that time period. It never sounded right, it sounded stupid and then I played it for Alain and he said, “Well, let’s do it.” It worked. It’s the only song that has electric drums on it.

Nathan:
Yeah, I wouldn’t have picked up on that. The only thing I know is it’s played loud while I’m in the car and away I go. The album for Spinnerette is self-titled, is there any reason why you didn’t want to give it a name?

Brody:
I don’t know. I think when you introduce your first record it should just be that. Throwing other titles on there unless it’s super fucking cool doesn’t work too good.

Nathan:
Is that you on the cover?

Brody:
It’s actually Tony, I had to wax him and tuck him.

Tony:
Yeah, I looked hot in that.

Brody:
Tuck ‘n Tape!

Nathan:
Liam Lynch did your first video for ‘Ghetto Love’; do you have any one lined up to do the video for ‘Baptized by Fire’?

Brody:
We already did it. We did it in England, in Kent on the Coast. It was fucking excessively cold and windy over two days with Chris Hopewell.

Nathan:
Is there some sort of theme to it?

Brody:
It’s just sort of a wandering crazy woman on the Shingle.

Tony:
It’s like Billy Jean but on the beach!

Nathan:
[laughing] Definitely can’t wait to see that. I read you have a fascination with 60’s girl bands, is that where the band name came from?

Brody:
It comes from a Spider’s anatomy.

Nathan:
I have one last question that you might want to keep a secret, you might not. Obviously it’s well known that your last name comes from your favorite actress Beatrice Dalle, but your first name, I’m correct in saying it’s not your real name.

Brody:
Uh huh.

Nathan:
What was the reasoning behind that decision?

Brody:
I don’t like my real name…

Nathan:
And I’m correct in saying it’s Bree Joanna Alice Robinson?

Brody:
Yeah, that’s my birth name, but I’ve had many different surnames and finally I had enough of having everyone else’s fucking name so I picked my own.
Nathan:
Is it legally Brody?

Brody:
Yeah, in Australia. It took me fucking years.

Nathan:
Will you ever move back there? Or are you enjoying LA?

Brody:
I want to move out of LA. I don’t know if I’ll go back. It’s hard to say really.

Nathan:
Will you ever tour with your husband?

Brody:
Sure! We did before with The Distillers’.

Nathan:
Alright, well I think that gives me enough to go with. Best of luck, thanks for doing this and I’m definitely looking forward to tonight.

Brody:
Thank you.

In the end, Brody Dalle was very candid and had no problems talking about anything I asked. Spinnerette is just beginning their tour and if you’re in the area when they come to town, you do not want to miss them!